Wandering around my Mind

You never know what you might find here.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Authenticity

"Authenticity and subordination are totally incompatible" -- Jean Baker Miller

Say that again. Unfortunately this can cause problems. There are times in order to survive in the world that we must subordinate ourself to the greater good. As one who is generally reluctant to subordinate myself to anyone or anything this can pose problems. It has from time through the years caused many conflicts. I have worked on understanding this and toning it down over the years but its still a problem for me. This is also something I taught my daughter in a Big Way. She won't subordinate herself either! I cherish and admire her individuality - she is absolutely her own person - a one of a kind individual - just like I raised her to be. Sadly, though, since neither of us is very willing to subordinate to the other we are constantly in conflict.

Does anyone have an advise on this front? How does a person let go just a bit to help make things work better overall?

No comments: