Wandering around my Mind

You never know what you might find here.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Than and Then

I have a pet peeve about the proper use of some words in the English language. For the last few years it seems that I see more and more improper use of the word then. I have seen it from all sorts of people - people with Master's degrees and people with less education than that. We landed in Bozeman, MT today and went to the Avis rent a car location. Posted on the front door of their office was a note stating, "Less then $50 cash on premises". It curls the hair on the back of my neck. I don't know why. I know it is a trivial matter but still it drives me crazy. "Than" is supposed to be used when comparing - less than, more than, I would rather go here than there. Then is supposed to be used in reference to time. For example, then we went to the store or then I left. While I haven't gone to the dictionary to give the actual definitions I think you get the point. So why do so many people use the word then the wrong way.

2 comments:

Reed said...

I know what you mean! I saw a sign at a gas station once that read, "Pay Inside Only From Dust to Dawn." That was over 20 years ago...yet I'm still talking about it!

Lindsay said...

how bout accept, and except...people screw that one up all the time...annoying