Wandering around my Mind

You never know what you might find here.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Grocery Shopping, Strawberries, Peaches and My favorite Pasta Recipe

I haven't been to the grocery in a couple of weeks. This is a ritual I really miss. Today I am sort of on vacation - doing a little work from home and a few phone calls - but otherwise on vacation. I can't wait to plan out the meals for the next few days and go shopping. I just love wandering through the produce department looking at all the fruits and vegetables and imaging what they will taste like in my meal. I know it sounds goofy but I love fresh food. After 4 days in a car in Yellowstone eating food out of packages and restaurant meals I am ready for some home cooking and some fresh fruit. Its been a rough spring so far for the fresh fruit! Strawberries in California and Florida suffered from a late freeze and there haven't been any really good strawberries this season. They are my favorite when they are sweet and juicy. I could eat bowls and bowls of them. But this year they have no flavor. Just bland. My next favorite are the west slope Peaches from Colorado. If you've never had them you must! They are the sweetest, juiciest peaches I've ever had. They won't be ready until late July and early August. We each peaches almost three meals a day during that season. I buy them by the box from the road side vendors or at the farmer's market.

Tonight I think I will make my favorite pasta. Its light and easy and delicious. Even the little kids like it. Cook your spaghetti or capellini. While it is cooking you finely dice fresh roma tomatoes (about 1 lb. to 1 1/2 lbs.), fresh basil (2-3T), fresh marjoram (2 tsp.), fresh oregano (2 tsp.) fresh thyme (2 tsp), and cubes of fresh mozzarella. Put all those ingredients in the bottom of a large bowl. Then heat about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan with one minced garlic clove. Heat until the garlic sizzles then set aside. When the pasta is cooked drain and put in the bowl with the diced ingredients and pour the warm oil over it and toss. Its delicious! And very light.

No comments: