Wandering around my Mind

You never know what you might find here.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Language of God

I am currently reading the book "The Language of God" by Francis Collins, the head of the human genome project. He is a scientist and former athiest. Through his work on the human genome project he ultimately turned his view around to one of profound belief in God. Much of the reading that he did to inform his changed viewpoint was written by C.S.Lewis, starting with "Mere Christianity". I am just about half way throught he book so more commentary will come as I finish it up. Please read the comments - I am attaching some links to articles a friend sent that are related to the topic.

1 comment:

Martha said...

This is the website and info on the book by Richard Dawkins. It is pretty interesting. I find it most interesting that he thinks believers are just plain stupid. Christopher Hitchens also has a new book out that takes on God. I will send a link to an interview with him on the subject, Hitchens is brilliant.



http://richarddawkins.net/godDelusion#firstChapter





Theodore Dalrymple (that’s his pen name, his real name is Anthony Daniels) we have spoken about before. He is a confirmed atheist, but I like his take on the subject in this article. He is a great writer and highly original thinker.



http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm?frm=4820&sec_id=4820



Heather MacDonald wrote a wonderful article on the conservative case for atheism. This is it. She writes for the City Journal and has done interesting work on race relations and the police.



http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_08_28/article14.html



Please don’t take this to mean I don’t believe; I just find it a very interesting debate. The best short quote on the subject is from Hitchens, he said: “Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins."